Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Team Foundation Server 2010–Work Item Basics

 

Here’s how to create a new bug in TFS, create custom queries, and track them in the SharePoint Foundation Site created for my sample TFS Project.  


Creating and Assigning a Bug (or other type of Work Item)

So most of the time you’ll create and assign bugs from within Visual Studio (within the Team Explorer plug-in for VS2010 to be precise).  So if you expand the tree view of the Team Project you’re working with and right-click “Work Items”, you can choose “New Work Item” > “Bug”:

 

Fill in the details, and assign it to someone (in this case I assigned it to my colleague Kagan):

Now we’re done creating and assigning the bug. 

 

Querying Work Items

If you expand “Work Items” then “Team Queries”, there’s already a bunch of queries to display “My Bugs”, “My Tasks”, etc.  You can also create your own:

In this sample I created a custom query that shows me any type of work item, for any project, assigned to Kagan.  When I click “Run” you can see I get one result:

When I change “Assigned To” to the parameterized “@Me” keyword, I get zero results:

Hit the “Save Query” button and I can save this under “My Queries” (so only I can see the query), or under “Team Queries” so anyone can use it:

Project Dashboard

If I go to the project dashboard site (right-click the Team Project in Team Explorer and choose “Show Project Portal”), it takes me here (http://hqsrv107/sites/DefaultCollection/UTPurchaseOrders/Dashboards/ProjectDashboard_wss.aspx):

On the right side of the screen I can click where it says “1 Bug” and it takes me to a list of all active bugs:

Double-click the bug and we get a window where we can see details of the work item, and make changes if we want.  I’ll change the “Assigned To” field to me and leave a comment.  Then click “Save and Close”:

Now, when I click “My Dashboard” on the left-hand side of SharePoint, the “My Bugs” web part now shows that I have one bug that’s currently active and assigned to me:


 

Jonathon Schultz
mobile:
407.923.4946 | fax: 866.569.2615 | email: jon@jonschultz.com

No comments: